WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Current opening is based in Chisinau, Moldova. This VA may be used as a roster to fill in similar positions in Moldova.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, working towards achieving a world with zero hunger. Since the beginning of the conflict in Ukraine in February 2022, WFP has started to set up operations in neighboring countries to ensure food needs are met both inside and outside of Ukraine. WFP Moldova, following a request from the Government of Moldova and in coordination with UNHCR, provide cash assistance to the host community in Moldova.
The newly established WFP Moldova office is now seeking to fill the position Communications Associate to provide support to the implementation of the communications strategy and plans to ensure effective and efficient communication of WFP with its partners, the media, and targeted audiences.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Communications Associate will be responsible for:
- Serve as an information focal point, support and/or coordinate media coverage of events to optimise publicity of WFP’s activities.
- Create multimedia materials including stories, photos, videos to be uploaded to WFP Multimedia hub and ensure they are searchable with the correct information.
- Organize and execute special events, working closely with colleagues, external partners, and media, to ensure events are effectively scheduled, publicized and attended.
- Support partners with media and social media activities by developing social media content, planning posts, and utilizing platforms to enhance coverage of WFP’s activities in the country.
- Conduct daily media monitoring and sharing a summary with leadership team.
- Stay abreast of new developments relating to WFP’s field of work in the country.
- Maintain a contact list of journalists and media outlets.
- Support the translation of news releases and social media assets for the distribution to share with partners.
- Prepare weekly and monthly highlights on political developments in the country that are relevant for the work of WFP.
- Support the compilation of talking points for media engagements and events.
- Implement global WFP social media campaigns and adjust content for the Moldovan market.
- Perform other related duties as required.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
- Various edited films and stories that help promote WFP operations both internally and externally.
- An increase in social media output and engagement.
- The WFP multimedia hub is populated with cash stories and materials.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- University degree in one or more of the following disciplines: journalism, international relations, history, film studies, social sciences, management, communications, or others relevant to communications and/or humanitarian assistance.
- At least 2 -3 years of experience in communications, journalism or some communications related field. Prior experience of working in UN communications desirable.
- Prior experience of social media and social media necessary.
- Experience of gathering communications materials from the field desirable
- Experience in editing videos is essential. Experience of filming and photography highly desirable.
- Experience in providing inputs to design and implement advocacy campaigns
- Has designed and managed advocacy and campaign initiatives and provided advice to colleagues
Knowledge & Skills:
- Excellent ability to effectively communicate orally, in writing and visually.
- Proficiency in Adobe Premiere is essential. Knowledge of Photoshop and Lightroom is also desirable.
- Experience using social media channels such as Twitter or LinkedIn required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook); Experience with using service management tools.
Languages: Fluent in English, Romania/Russian is required.
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
Type of Contract: SC6
Duty Station: Chisinau, Moldova.
Duration: 12 months