** This position is open to Moldova nationals ONLY
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the overall guidance and the direct supervision of the Operations Manager, the Finance Analyst provides leadership in execution of financial services in the CO ensuring effective and transparent utilization of financial resources and integrity of financial services. The Finance Analyst promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The incumbent supervises and leads the staff of the Finance Unit. He/She works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the CO, GSSC and UNDP HQs staff for resolving complex finance-related issues and information delivery.
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of operational and financial management strategies
- Projects’ budget management and organization of the cost-recovery system
- Control of CO accounts
- Control of CO cash management
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Key Duties and Accountabilities
Ensures implementation of operational and financial management strategies, and adapts processes and procedures, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and audit follow up with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system.
- CO Finance business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal
- Standard Operating Procedures in Finance, control of the workflows in the Finance Unit.
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development and management projects.
- Elaboration of the framework and conditions of contributions within the CO resources mobilization efforts.
- Elaboration and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies.
- Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigates anomalies or unusual transactions. Informs supervisors and other UNDP staff at Headquarters and GSSU of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
Manages the project budgets and organizes an optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Financial resources management through planning, guiding, controlling of the resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Preparation and monitoring of budgets of management projects.
- Establishment of the development projects’ budgets preparation/modification monitoring system, control of budgetary status versus authorized spending limits (ASL) and budgets delivery levels.
- Sending project budget to KK if authorized by the Senior Management (can be done only on the basis of signed ProDoc and project budgets).
- Elaboration of proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management.
- Preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by UNDP.
Ensures proper control of CO accounts focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Elaboration of the internal expenditures’ control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared; MPOs, travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed, receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals are properly done in compliance with IPSAS and UNDP policies and procedures.
- Manager level 1 in Atlas.
- Control of accounts closure
- Approval of vendors in Atlas.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Control of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and maintenance of the General Ledger.
Ensures proper CO cash management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and GSSU on the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and record of contributions.
- Primary contact with local bank management on routine operational matters including negotiation of exchange rate on replenishments.
- Approval and submission of monthly UN exchange rate reports to Treasury
- Timely and accurate approval of bank reconciliation, including documented review of exceptions.
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals, selecting bank transfers and deals for approval and settlement. Performing Paycycle manager role in Atlas.
- Timely preparation of monthly cashflow forecast for use by Operations Manager. Liaison with UN Agencies to obtain estimate of their cash requirements.
- Role as cashier for cash disbursements made on site.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO and guidance to all stakeholders on financial matters focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization/conduct of training for the operations/programme/projects staff on financial management and RBM.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Supervisory/Managerial Responsibilities: Supervisory
- Master’s degree in Finance/Accounting, Business, or Public Administration, or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy with 2 years of relevant experience.
- A first level (Bachelors) University Degree in Finance/Accounting, Business, or Public Administration, or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy with an additional 2 years of relevant experience will be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
- Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Master’s degree or 2 years (with University Degree) of relevant experience in providing financial management and accounting advisory services, managing staff and operational systems
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials.
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required.
- Fluency in English.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
IMPORTANT: Any applicant considered for a UNDP finance position, who does not have an accounting qualification, such as CA, CPA, ACCA etc., would be required to take and pass the appropriate Test to be considered for the finance position.
Expected Demonstration of Competencies
Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
Learn Continuously LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
Adapt with Agility LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
Act with Determination LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
Engage and Partner LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Cross Functional Competencies
Business Management - Operations Management Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner. Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms.
Business Management - Monitoring Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results.
Business Management - Resource Management Ability to allocate and use resources in a strategic or tactical way in line with principles of accountability and integrity
Audit & Investigation - General Financial and Managerial Accounting and Finance key concepts Key concepts and principles of financial accounting, interpret financial analysis, managerial accounting, etc.
Audit & Investigation – Audit - Internal auditing standards, practices, and techniques Undertake audit assignments in accordance with international professional standards in respect of operational audits, financial audits, performance audits, project audits and provision of advisory services
Finance - Budget management Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets
Finance - Finance Business Partnering Able to support business units and add value by innovating and providing solutions to financial issues/queries, including through FAQs, financial tools, advisory, etc.
Candidates selected pursuant to this vacancy may be subject to UNDP’s policy on Probation upon assignment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Vacancy End Date: 25 November 2022
To apply please address the link: http://bit.ly/3A92RyK