The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities):
The United Kingdom is an active supporter of the Moldova Support Platform (MSP), which brings together governments, IFIs, and International Organisations to coordinate and enhance their support for Moldova. There are five pillars of activity: economic, refugee response, energy, border security and anti-corruption. The UK and Romania lead the anti-corruption pillar, working together with the Moldovan government. A Chisinau-based “Anti-Corruption Working Group” has been established to take forward work on the anti-corruption pillar.
This job’s main purpose is to coordinate UK’s contribution to the MSP, including our lead role on the anti-corruption pillar. The job-holder will work closely with the Moldovan Ministry of Justice, national anti-corruption authorities, UK and Romanian counterparts and other participants in the MSP and the Anti-corruption Working Group.
Working with Romanian and Moldovan colleagues, the job-holder will organise meetings of the Anti-Corruption Working Group in Chisinau, and prepare meetings of participants in the anti-corruption pillar at each meeting of the MSP. The job-holder will work closely with Moldovan and Romanian colleagues to ensure progress is made towards identifying development and capacity-building needs, and communicating them to potential donors in a coordinated and coherent manner.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Liaison with Moldovan Ministry of Justice colleagues, helping them to collate and report on capacity-building needs across all Moldovan institutions and agencies involved in the fight against corruption.
- Collaborate with the Moldovan Ministry of Justice and the Romanian Embassy, to prepare meetings of the Anti-corruption Working Group in Chisinau and the anti-corruption pillar of the MSP.
- Draft and communicate the minutes and recommendations from the above meetings to participants and interested parties; share relevant information with the donor community, including progress reports flagging the risks and gaps in potential delivery.
- Provide inputs for briefing documents and draft conclusions of anti-corruption pillar (MSP) meetings.
- Monitor progress of anti-corruption work in Moldova, report on challenges and make recommendations for UK interventions (projects/programme, political, operational, comms). This will involve co-operation with other members of the Embassy political-programme team, and also occasionally with operational law enforcement colleagues (NCA, CPS, Home Office). Working with the Head of Programmes, the job-holder will assist in the delivery of Good Governance Fund projects in the area of anti-corruption, including institutional capacity building activities.
- Champion anti-corruption work strands across the Embassy working closely with Programme, Defence, Trade and Communications team to align work with wider HMG objectives.
- Proactively maintain and develop contacts among decision-makers, NGOs, media, civil society and academics.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
- Graduate degree with at least 3 years professional track record in Law, Political Science, International Affairs or a similar field;
- Knowledge and understanding of the current political scene in Moldova and in the wider region, and the main developments/political personalities since independence;
- Good knowledge and understanding of justice sector reform and fight against corruption in Moldova, the responsibilities and tasks of main national institutions involved in this process;
- Political objectivity;
- Full professional proficiency in Romanian, including excellent writing skills (written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework*). At Least a B2 English;
- Strong research, analytical and presentation skills.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience:
- Work experience in the justice system;
- Experience of working in, or collaborating with, Moldovan government institutions or agencies;
- Experience of working internationally or on behalf of an international organisation;
- Russian language skills.
Required behaviours: Seeing the Big Picture, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together;
Grade: Executive Officer (EO)
Location (City): Chisinau
Type of Position: Permanent
Salary: 30,209.00 MDL, Gross;
Application deadline: 3 October 2022
Start Date: 1 November 2022
Other benefits and conditions of employment: This is a full-time permanent contract. The Embassy’s pay and benefits package is in compliance with local labour law. The gross monthly salary for this position is MDL 30,209. The annual leave entitlement is 24 working days per calendar year and the Embassy also enjoys 14 Moldovan/UK public holidays per year.The successful candidate will be subject to a reference check, security clearance and satisfactory completion of a probationary period of three months.