Job title: Gender and Youth Advisor
Location: Chisinau, Moldova
Timeframe: Approximately 3 years, contingent upon continued funding of the project by the program’s funder
IREX is a global development and education organization. We strive for a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world—where individuals reach their full potential, governments serve their people, and communities thrive. With a projected annual portfolio of more than $100 million and more than 600 staff worldwide, we work with partners in more than 100 countries in four areas essential to progress: cultivating leaders, empowering youth, strengthening institutions, and increasing access to quality education and information.
Comunitatea Mea (CM) is a program administered by IREX and funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The program’s purpose is to a) improve the capacity of local authorities, including their ability to work inclusively with citizens and civil society, to increase revenues, improve financial management practices, and b) build on this work with localities to improve the functionality of fiscal, administrative and political arrangements between the central and local governments to improve public services for residents of Moldova and increase their trust in public sector institutions.
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified candidates for a full time Gender and Youth Advisor position. The Gender and Youth Advisor will be responsible for promoting CM’s gender and social inclusion agenda and ensure that these aspects are mainstreamed into CM activities where appropriate. He/she will consult on Gender and Social Inclusion (GESI) and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) matters pertaining to CM activities, especially regarding partner LPA outreach to citizens and citizen inclusion in budgeting, strategic planning and community project oversight activities. The Advisor will be responsible for the performance of the assigned tasks within the Comunitatea Mea program, including meeting programmatic goals, remaining compliant with IREX and USAID regulations. He/She will report to the Deputy Chief of Party. The position is based in the Chisinau project office with travel as needed throughout Moldova.
Your Background & Skills
- Legal resident of Moldova with authorization to work.
- Professional experience working on donor-funded international development programs;
- Experience focusing on gender analysis and gender mainstreaming and working with inclusion of underrepresented citizens. Previous experience working on collecting and providing gender-disaggregated data for monitoring, evaluation and learning purposes preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of the Moldovan context for gender-related issues, social (including refugee) inclusion, and youth civic participation in community affairs. Good understanding of the local government context in Moldova and on the gender and social inclusion-related challenges at the local level which prevent full participation of underrepresented population categories in community life;
- Bachelor’s Degree in gender studies or related field (could be substituted with at least five years practical experience in the field);
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in gender equality and participatory development practices;
- Prior experience with a USAID-funded program preferred;
- Outstanding interpersonal and cross-cultural skills required;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English and proficiency in Romanian or Russian required.
Your Daily Tasks
- Promote, design, implement, and manage gender equality, youth civic participation and social inclusion activities across program components;
- Provide expertise in gender equality, youth civic participation and social inclusion for the program, stakeholders, and USAID;
- Contribute to the distribution of best practices and lessons learned in gender mainstreaming, equality, and youth civic participation among program participants and counterparts;
- Provide inputs for internal and donor reporting, as necessary;
- Ensure high quality project deliverables and results are being met, including designing, leading, and/or participating in monitoring and evaluation efforts;
- Develop and support the creation of project materials, including issue briefs, policy papers, research summaries and scopes of work and reports;
- Provide inputs for the drafting of the project bi-weekly, monthly activity plans, quarterly and annual reports for USAID, as well as drafting other project updates and work plans;
- Participate in weekly/bi-weekly project team meetings to discuss progress, upcoming activities and events;
- Ensure collaboration and coordination with CM program activities;
- Manage logistics for events, roundtables, meetings;
- Other administrative and programmatic duties, as assigned.
Submit your application to: Gender and Youth Advisor, Communities and Governance Practice (NEW) | IREX Job Board (ultipro.com)
Applicants may be selected for an interview on a rolling basis.