UNDP Moldova: Project Manager/National Coordinator (short-term) - EU4Climate Project
EU4Climate Project will help governments in the six EU Eastern Partner (EaP) countries Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine to take action against climate change.
The project goal is to contribute to climate change mitigation and adaptation and to the development towards a low-emissions and climate-resilient economy in line with the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change in all six EU EaP countries. It will assist respective countries to integrate the low-emissions and climate resilience objectives into development policies and plans, to improve and consolidate climate policies and legislative alignment. Its ambition is to limit climate change impact on citizens lives and make them more resilient to it.
By these outcomes the Republic Moldova intends to integrate the low-emissions and climate resilience objectives into development policies and plans, as well as to promote in larger extent the economic diversification and green growth, thus accelerating the structural transformations through more effective governance systems.
The objectives of the Project are:
• To contribute to climate change mitigation and adaptation and to the development towards a low-emissions and climate-resilient economy in line with the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change in all six EU EaP countries;
• To assist EU EaP countries to integrate the low-emissions and climate resilience objectives into development policies and plans, to improve and consolidate climate policies and legislative alignment;
• To limit climate change impact on citizens lives and make them more resilient to it.
By implementing the project, the following results will be achieved: (i) Finalized/up-dated nationally determined contributions and national mid-century strategies and communicated to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), (ii) Improved inter-institutional awareness and coordination at political and technical level of the Paris Agreement and the corresponding national commitments, (iii) Established or strengthened measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) systems, with countries getting on track with Paris Agreement transparency requirements, (iv) Establishment of concrete sectoral guidelines for the implementation of the Paris Agreement in each of the Eastern Partners, especially in the field of energy (v) Advanced alignment with EU acquis as provided by bilateral agreements with EU and in the context of the Energy Community Treaty, (vi) Increased mobilization of climate finance, and (vii) Enhanced adaptation planning.
The initiative is implemented by the United Nations Development Programme. The Directorate-General for Neighborhood and Enlargement Negotiations (DG NEAR) and Directorate-General for Climate Action (DG Clima) of the European Commission provides the overall direction.
The Project duration is envisaged between 2019-2023.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the International Chief Technical Advisor/Regional Project Manager (ICTA, UNDP Istanbul Regional Hub) and of the Climate Change, Environment and Energy Cluster Lead (UNDP Moldova), the incumbent provides effective and efficient coordination of the EU4Climate Project, through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Manager/National Coordinator applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations, as follows:
a) Ensuring effective content and operational management of the project;
b) Oversee day-to-day operations and implementation of project activities;
c) Exercise close monitoring of project activities and produce monitoring reports;
d) Ensure the timely and efficient delivery of Project outputs and products, as per the Project Document, leading to the achievement of expected results;
e) Develop Work Plan, periodic narrative progress and final reports and expenditures status reports and submit to the supervisor;
f) Ensure the implementation of the activities under the Project work plan according to indicators for achieving planned results, as well as the overall management of the Project in line with UNDP rules, regulations and procedures;
g) Support the efficient management of the Project financial resources, including budgeting and budget revisions, as well as expenditure tracking and reporting;
h) Continuously record and maintain Project issues and risks and suggest mitigation measures;
i) Lead and coordinate the organization of meetings, workshops, conferences, trainings, study visits and related activities relevant to the implementation of the Project;
j) Maintain a continuous effective dialogue with the key stakeholders, central and local government authorities, other UN agencies and actors active in the sector, CSOs, partner organizations, international and national experts in the areas of the Project intervention in view of identifying synergies and avoiding overlapping of assistance;
k) Maintain a close collaboration with other related UNDP programmes to ensure synergies and complementarities;
l) Ensure visibility of the project activities to the mass media and stakeholders and support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local, national, and as required at international levels;
m) Perform any other duties connected directly with the implementation and evaluation of the Project as required.
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the EU4Climate Project goal. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Board, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
The Project Manager/National Coordinator will work under the overall supervision of the International Chief Technical Advisor/Regional Project Manager (ICTA, UNDP Istanbul Regional Hub) and of the Climate Change, Environment and Energy Cluster Lead (UNDP Moldova) and will ensure the provision of development services and products commensurate with the scope of the Project and assigned area of responsibility of the highest quality and standards to national and local counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and GE approaches. The Project Manager/National Coordinator will coordinate and manage the project team, consisting of 1 part-time employee and 1 part time consultant, as envisaged in project organizational chart.
The Project Manager/National Coordinatorwill work in close cooperation with the team in the Country Office (CO) and ICTA/Project Manager for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
People Management: UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Thematic Area Name Definition
Business Management: Results-based Management: Ability to manage projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
Business Management: Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
Business Management: Risk Management: Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks
Business Management: Monitoring: Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and project performance and results
Digital & Innovation: Agile' methodologies and practices: Ability to manage projects and processes through continuous iteration, learning and improvement. Ability to manage a self-organising cross-functional team, foster a team culture of curiosity and learning. Being nimble and being able to improvise and quickly adjust to unforeseen events or changes in conditions or context.
Partnership management EU Partnerships Knowledge and understanding of EU strategies, approached, processes and systems
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education:
• Master degree in either of following areas: Economics; Energy; Environment/natural resource management; climate change mitigation and/or adaptation; or other relevant field.
• Bachelor’s Degree with additional two years of experience can be taken into consideration in lieu of Master`s degree.
Min. years of relevant Work experience:
• At least 2 years (with Master’s Degree) or 4 years (with Bachelor’s Degree) of progressive working experience in project implementation, including management of experts’ team in international organizations, experience in climate change/Paris Agreement key technical areas and/or sustainable development is required;
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and in handling of web based management systems;
Additional desired skills and experience:
• Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector / consulting firm is a very strong advantage.
• Previous experience with EU/UNDP projects is an advantage.
• Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian.
• Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language is an asset.
• Additional training and certification in project management and/or business administration would be an advantage.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Applications should be submitted on line and include fully completed Personal History Form (P11) or CV/resume.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Vacancy End Date: 24 August 2022
To apply please address the link: https://bit.ly/3zWAHqV
Alte anunturi de angajare
- Sales Manager for Local Producer
- UN WFP Moldova is hiring Emergency Preparedness & Security Officer
- [Extindere termen limită] MOVCA angajează expert/ă advocacy / analiza politicilor publice
- Program Support Officer – Balti, Moldova
- Oficiul Avocatului Poporului anunță concurs pentru ocuparea funcției publice de execuție: Consultant superior (C 11), Direcția politici publice și legislație
- HR Operations Manager
- Termeni de referință privind selectarea unui expert/experți/ONG în vederea realizării unei studiu asupra modului în care cele mai influente instituții media din Republica Moldova reflectă problemele interne și externe, care afectează societatea
- Strategic Planning consultant to provide support to MIRD in the implementation of the Subcomponent 2.1. within the Moldova Water Security and Sanitation Project
- Oficiul Avocatului Poporului anunță concurs pentru ocuparea funcției publice de execuție: Auditor intern (C 19), Serviciul audit intern
- USAID MISRA is looking for a local legal customs expert for drafting new customs procedures re modification of customs declarations