The UNDP-FAO Joint Project – Emergency support for agri-producers in the context of socio-economic and energy crisis - is expected to support Outcomes 2 and 3 of the Moldova 2030 SDGs Partnership Fund.
Outcome 2. The people of Moldova, in particular the most vulnerable, have access to enhanced livelihood opportunities, decent work and productive employment, generated by sustainable, inclusive and equitable economic growth.
Outcome 3. The people of Moldova, in particular the most vulnerable, benefit from enhanced environmental governance, energy security, sustainable management of natural resources, and climate and disaster resilient development.
The Joint Project has the goal to contribute to the improved food security of the country, and to adresss regional impacts of the current socio-economic crisis caused by the war in Ukraine by supporting the most vulnerable small farmers (particularly women-led farms and young people) in rural areas of Moldova with inputs and improved capacities for resilient production.
UNDP Moldova will provide tailored support to women groups - small agricultural producers in order to increase knowledge and skills for sustainable and resilient agriculture and forest practices and to explore alternative income generation activities in the respective sectors with sustainable and green aspects mainstreamed. Also, women agri-producers will be supported in implementation of renewable energy and energy-efficient technologies (biomass boilers in greenhouses, photovoltaic, among others).
The Project duration is envisaged between July 2022- December 2023 with support from the Austrian Development Agency.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Summary of Key Functions:
Working under the overall guidance and supervision of the Sustainable and Resilient Communities for Women Empowernment Project Manager and the direct supervision of UNDP Moldova Portfolio Manager, the Project Analyst will be responsible for leading the Project Team in the day-to-day implementation of the country-level project activities and managing financial resources effectively and efficiently so as to achieve the Project Objective and Outcomes within the set timescale and available budget.
The incumbent will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the project) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients. More specifically:
a) Ensure timely preparation, update and implementation of project annual and detailed work plans, and other related documents for timely commencement of planned activities and expected outputs;
b) Ensure overall coordination of the project activities in order to meet expected results. Contribute to the annual activity and procurement work plans as well as budgets based on expected year end outputs. Ensure close monitoring of activities and disbursements;
c) Support organization of UNDP-FAO Joint meetings and Joint Steering Committees;
d) Ensure the high quality of the calls of applications, terms of references, proposal outlines and agreements in close cooperation with service providers and/or grant recipients;
e) Establish monitoring and evaluation systems. Establish a system of progress review with each of the implementing partners;
f) Ensure timely submission of financial and activity reports by implementing partners, and ensure harmonized reporting by recipients on key performance indicators;
g) Advise service providers and/or grant recipients on strategies to facilitate results-based implementation of project activities, and ensure constant feedback on quality of their implementation, suggesting corrective measures as necessary;
h) Support the selection, capacity assessment, contracting, monitoring, evaluation and audit of recipients, ensuring compliance with UNDP regulations;
i) Contribute to the preparation of qualitative work plans and financial progress reports.
j) Provide close support for the preparation of procurement/contracting and financial delivery reports for UNDP management. Timely submit the above mentioned deliverables;
k) Contribute to the wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements. Support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local and national levels;
l) Maintain close coordination with assigned project partners, helping at ensuring synergies and avoiding overlaps in project implementation.
- Assume full responsibility for and manage effectively and efficiently all project activities and resources (human, financial, physical / material assets, etc) of the project in order to meet expected results.
- Coordinate short term experts.
- Undertake personnel performance appraisals for the experts supervised/coordinated.
- Develop annual reports and procurement work plans as well as budgets based on expected year-end outputs, and assist in developing periodical project and other reports and close monitoring of activities and disbursements.
- Apply UNDP programming tools and policies as explained in the Results Management Guide. Keep abreast of UNDP programming practices and maintain an optimum level of knowledge by continuous learning.
- Contribute to the wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements. Support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local and national levels.
- Provide regular reports to the UNDP Moldova Portfolio Manager and flag any deviations from the work plans immediately.
Direct supervisor: Sustainable and Resilient Communities for Women Empowernment Project Manager
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Analyst contributes to the effective and efficient implementation of the UNDP-FAO Joint Project contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The incumbent applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The incumbent works in close collaboration with the Project Team, and other project teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Thematic Area Name Definition
Business Direction & Strategy Strategic Thinking Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP's objectives; linking the vision to reality on the ground and creating tangible solutions. Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP.
Business Development Human-centered Design Ability to deVelop solutions to problems b\ inVolVing the human perspectiVe in all steps of the problem-solving process
Business Management Risk Management Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks
Business management Monitoring Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results.
Business management Operations Management Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner. Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms.
Business Management Partnership Management Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide network of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
Business Management Digital Awareness and Literacy Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skilfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed.
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
• Master’s Degree in economics, engineering, business administration, management, or other related fields relevant to the position.
• Bachelor’s Degree with additional two years can be taken into consideration in lieu of Master’s Degree.
Min. years of relevant Work experience
• 2 (two)) years (in case of Bachelor’s Degree) of relevant professional experience of managing projects/initiatives in the field of agriculture, business development or grantmaking.
• Experience in the public or private sector, development assistance and/or international organizations.
• Experience of work in implementing energy efficiency projects and a good understanding of related issues is a very strong advantage.
• Strong communication, strategic planning, and analytical skills;
• Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to management, including drafting reports, data evaluation, and sustainability reporting;
• Proven experience in similar positions in development programs will be considered an advantage.
• Experience in mainstreaming gender and human rights aspects will be an advantage.
• Valuable exposure and experience in the organization of outreach events, conferences, and trainings with multiple participants.
• Experience in coordinating a team is a very strong advantage.
• Additional training and/or certification in project or financial management would be an advantage.
• Computer literacy.Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
Desired additional skills
• Ability to work under pressure with several tasks and various deadlines;
• Excellent writing, presentation/public speaking skills;
• A proactive approach to problem-solving;
Required Language(s) (at working level)
• Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian.
• Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language is an asset.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff, and equal opportunities for people with disabilities. Well qualified candidates, particularly women and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Applications should be submitted on line and include fully completed Personal History Form (P11) or CV/resume.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Vacancy End Date: 11 August 2022
To apply please address the link: https://bit.ly/3cQeEsQ