I. Information about the position
Name of position: Financial Manager (FM)
Duty station: Chisinau, Moldova
Direct line management: Country Director
II. Organizational context
Caritas Czech Republic (CCR) is a non-profit organization based in Prague that implements humanitarian aid and development cooperation projects in 15 countries across the world (Europe, Asia, Middle East and Africa).
We have been working in Moldova since 2004. Over the years, we implemented 34 development cooperation projects in home and social care, small business development, civil society development, agriculture, lively hoods support and inclusion areas. In 2017, we were registered in Moldova through our exclusive partner - AO Pro-Development - and started implementing projects directly through a local team.
Our strategic objectives are focused on the following priority intervention sectors: civil society development, inclusive social development, primary healthcare support, innovation and waste/water management.
More information on CCR’s work in Moldova can be found on:
Presently, we also implement humanitarian aid projects supporting refugees from Ukraine residing in Moldova.
Financial Manager is responsible for financial management of the Caritas Czech Republic (CCR) mission in Moldova (legal name: Pro-Development NGO) in accordance with the CCR financial manual, internal rules and Moldovan legislation. In performing her/his duties, the FM will coordinate its work with the Headquarters (HQ) Financial coordinator for Moldova (based in Prague) and will manage the financial local team under the supervision of the Country Director. Thus, the FM will have the following responsibilities:
- Carry out overall financial management of the mission, namely the financial management of current projects and mission expenditures
- Oversee the activity of the financial team (financial coordinator/accountant and financial assistant)
- Monitor and adjust the Country Program Operational Budget (CPOB) based on current and future spending and newly implemented projects in cooperation with the Country Director
- Coordinate and monitor cash flow within the mission and ensure that the mission has a positive cash balance
- Elaborate project-based budget forecasts, coordinate them with project managers and country director and ensure their entry in force (through pre-payments and cooperation agreements with HQ)
- In cooperation with project managers and the financial coordinator/accountant, draft budget modifications based on donor guidelines
- In cooperation with the HQ financial coordinator, ensure that donor financial guidelines are observed by the project team in projects implementation
- Cooperate with the project proposal writing group in drafting project budgets and advise the group on financial guidelines of respective donors
- Monitor projects’ budget spending (including spending in the partners´ budget lines) using the financial monitoring table supplied by the HQ Financial Coordinator, and, in cooperation with project managers, propose remedies in case of overspending or underspending in particular budget lines or in general
- Approve monthly financial reports
- Advise project team in tender processes on procurement rules of the mission
- Participate in tenders for procurements
Interaction with partner organizations
- Cooperate with financial managers/coordinators of partner organizations in the financial management of grants/subsidies received by them from HQ or the mission (mostly supervision and advisory role)
- Approve monthly financial reports
- University degree in finances or equivalent field experience
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in financial coordination/management of international projects
- Experience in managing budgets for international projects (development cooperation)
- Good analytical and conceptualization skills and ability to think strategically
- Highly organized with good attention to detail and developed ability to prioritize multiple tasks to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills - able to communicate and report on technical points, both oral and in writing.
- Willing to be accountable for work conducted.
- Communicates honestly, openly, and consistently. Shares information appropriately and ensures that views of team members are freely expressed.
- Encourages positive viewpoint.
- Good numeracy skills with knowledge of budgeting and cost estimation processes are required.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work sensitively with people from various cultural and social backgrounds.
- Fluency in Rumanian and Russian (written and spoken) is essential.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office and other related programs.
- Strong skills in Excel.
DESIRABLE qualifications (that will be considered an advantage in the selection process)
- Experience in managing budgets for such donors as the European Union or USAID
- Accounting and auditing experience
- Strong human resources skills in managing financial teams
- Fluency in English (written and spoken);
- Available to work in the office 8 h/day.
- Able to work flexible hours when necessary to carry out the task completion.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact, and diplomacy
- Ability to work on his/her owns initiative as well as a part of a team.
- Have a high sense of urgency and a well-developed work ethic
V. What we offer
- Flexible work schedule
- Paid vacation, social and medical package according to national legislation
- Stable international organization with a long experience in the field of development cooperation
VI. How to apply
Qualified candidates may send their applications to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
The application must include a brief motivation letter, not longer than 1 page, and a maximum 4-page CV or resume.
Please write “Financial Manager" in the Subject line. Attachments must be named as following:
Last name of applicant_first name_financial manager_CV
Last name of applicant_first name_financial manager_Cover letter
The deadline for submission is 10 July 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The applications are reviewed on continual basis and a suitable candidate may be hired before the deadline. CCR reserves the right to cancel the selection process at any time.