CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Senior Technical Assistant (Shelter/Housing)
Chisinau, with frequent travels in country
General Service Staff
Type of Appointment:
All Inclusive Salary:
Special Short-Term Ungraded
Six months with possibility of extension
20000 MDL per month
Estimated Start Date:
As soon as possible
15 June 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Program and Operations Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Housing/NFI Programe Manager, the Shelter/Housing Senior Technical Assistant will be accountable for professional technical contribution to the implementation of Shelter/Housing project activities within the framework of the emergency response program in Moldova, in accordance with IOM procedures, and in close coordination with other units.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Assist with the implementation of the Shelter/Housing projects according to the agreed response strategy and plan.
2. Liaise closely with the Shelter/Housing Program Manager throughout the planning, design and implementation stages of all technical activities, including but not limited to the rehabilitation of public or private buildings, the distribution of non-food items and site improvements of transportation hotspots.
3. Conduct technical assessments on public or private buildings for building upgrade/rehabilitation works.
4. Prepare Bill of Quantities (BoQs) and necessary drawings including refurbishment of walls, roofs, floors, and windows as well as electricity and plumbing rehabilitation.
5. Coordinate and oversee rehabilitation works being conducted by contractors to ensure that works are carried out according to the drawings and technical specification provided by IOM in a timely manner.
6. Under the guidance of the Shelter/Housing program manager and in close coordination with the procurement and logistics team, provide support in the preparation and follow up of purchase request forms as part of the procurement process, as well as for the timely distribution of materials, supplies and equipment in accordance with IOM standard procedures.
7. Coordinate and oversee any rehabilitation works being conducted by contractors to ensure that works are conducted in a timely manner and according with IOMs specifications.
8. Provide design inputs and prepare bill of quantities as required.
9. Facilitate introduction of new technology, methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities.
10. Continuously monitor and supervise the ongoing activities, overseeing the technical design, execution and evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
11. Ensure Shelter/Housing projects are implemented in line with the requirements and in accordance with IOM, donor, country and international standards.
12. Prepare and develop status reports, minutes of the meetings, travel requests, and other documents, as required, by the management.
13. Liaise with government, relevant UN and NGO partners, contractors and consultants at state, district and field level, as required.
14. Ensure proper filing of documents.
15. Conduct/organize assessments to evaluate the Shelter/Housing response, get beneficiary feedback, etc. and provide input into the strategic direction of the response plans according to changing needs and context appropriateness.
16. Perform any other duties that may be required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Constructions, or related field with three years of relevant professional experience; Or,
- High School diploma with five years of relevant experience.
- Preferably 3+ year(s) of relevant experience in the construction industry.
- Experience in community mobilization and engagement and mediating among local actors is an asset.
- Proficiency in computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Outlook etc). Versatile in use of design related software (e.g. AutoCAD) and ability to prepare schedules/bills of quantities and cost estimates.
- A sound and up-to-date knowledge of the building industry, local construction techniques and materials.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately and pay attention to detail.
- Willingness to assist efficiently in a very busy project environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to present clear and concise information and good communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to learn new programming modalities quickly.
- Fluent Romanian and good knowledge in Russian.
- Basic English.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators (Level 1)
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this special vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, security clearances and a valid COVID certification.
A prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested applicants are invited to send the CV and cover letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please, indicate the position you are applying for and reference code in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications is 15 June 2022, however interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts the applications duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 08.06.2022 to 15.06.2022