People in Need (PIN) is a Czech non-governmental organization that provides relief aid and development assistance while working to defend human rights and democratic freedom. It is one of the largest relief and development organizations in post-communist Europe and has administered projects in 37 countries over the past 30 years. See here for more information about PIN: www.peopleinneed.net.
From 2009 onwards, PIN has added development programmes to its work in Moldova, building a vision and practices that keep people and communities at the center of our work. Throughout its presence in the country, PIN has been contributing to the development of the following sectors: Sustainable Livelihood and Environment, Social Inclusion and Protection, Good Governance.
People in Need is recruiting a Project Manager to be responsible for the overall project and financial management of the anticipated Czech Development Agency grant – “Modernization, innovation and use of knowledge for the Moldovan dairy sector (MILK)” – and to provide support to the team through coordination of project implementation and liaison with donors, partners, and stakeholders.
The intention of the project is to focus on improving the economic conditions of small and medium-sized farmers by strengthening the dairy value chain in northern Moldova, using a market systems development (MSD) approach and using knowledge and technical experts from the Czech Republic and Moldova. The project will create regional platforms for the coordination of the dairy sector, strengthen the capacity of milk collective centers, improve farmers’ access to the veterinary advice and also ensure access to quality genetic material for crossbreeding. As a result, the proposed project should strengthen the efficiency and cooperation of market participants throughout the dairy value chain and increase the productivity and milk quality of small and medium-sized cattle farmers.
Summary of duties
The Project Manager will be directly responsible for all components of management of the Project “Modernization, innovation and use of knowledge for the Moldovan dairy sector (MILK)”. The Project Manager will work in close coordination with People in Need’s the Head of Programmes, the project expert on Dairy (Vitalie Rusu), and will be the main point of contact for the donor, project partners, and other project stakeholders.
Duties and responsibilities
In a collaborative partnership with project partners and under the supervision of People in Need’s Country Director, the Project Manager is responsible for overall project management including project administration, finance/budget management, procurement, monitoring/evaluation, staff management, advocacy, and reporting.
In particular, the Project Manager shall work to:
- Ensure that project activities are implemented timely and according to international best practices.
- In cooperation with project experts provide technical expertise and guidance to project beneficiaries.
- Manage the budget and assist in the development of cash-flow projections and budget forecasting.
- Ensure all project activities, procurement and spending are in compliance with both People in Need and donor rules and regulations.
- Conduct regular field visits to monitor field activities, and provide advisory support to team members and beneficiaries.
- Ensure programs are based on sound design principles utilizing PIN and donor required M&E systems and design a realistic M&E plan for the Project.
- Serve as a main contact person for the project partners, other NGOs active in the field, government authorities and media.
- Responsible for all donor reporting and external communication of the Project.
- Provide support to the Head of Programmes in identifying and pursuing fundraising opportunities.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Knowledge/experience, qualifications/skills, and abilities required
The successful candidate will be able to work without direct supervision, pay attention to details, and will exhibit personal commitment, drive for results, efficiency, flexibility, respect for diversity, creative thinking, and problem-solving.
- Minimum 2 years of progressive management experience in the NGO field with a focus on civil society development programs.
- Minimum 1 year of management experience from the private sector is desired.
- Knowledge of Moldovan agriculture sector (knowledge of dairy sector and market system development approach is a strong asset).
- Understanding of and proficiency in the use of monitoring and evaluation tools.
- Experience with budget management, financial forecasting, and donor compliance issues.
- Proven experience and good knowledge of office administration processes, procurement, and techniques.
- Qualification – A university degree in a relevant field.
- Professionalism – Proven communication and negotiation skills with national and local level representatives.
- Planning & Organizing – Ability to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
- Management – Ability to manage staff and contribute to skills and capacity building.
- Communications – Good communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present complex information and prepare written documents/communications in a clear, concise style.
- Innovative and critical thinking.
- Demonstrated experience with MS Office suite application, particularly with Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, social media skills represent an advantage.
- Teamwork – Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Fluency in English and Romanian (listening, reading, writing, and speaking) required. Russian communication skills are a strong advantage.
Reports to the Head of Programmes and accountable to People in Need’s Senior Management in Chisinau and Headquarters in Prague.
Period of assignment
The position is required for 12 months with an expected start in June/July 2022.
Interested applicants must submit the following:
- Cover Letter (in English)
- Full CV (in English)
- Contacts of three references (could be included the supervisor in the most recent work assignment).
The above shall be sent to the following link: https://apply.workable.com/people-in-need-2/j/8D76850006/apply/
Deadline for application: June 10, 2022, by COB. The applicants will be invited for interviews on a rolling basis. The application process might be stopped earlier if a suitable candidate will be identified before the application deadline.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview. No phone call inquiries are allowed.
By sending their CV and other documents to the aforementioned link the candidate implicitly consents to their personal data appearing in the CV and such other documents being held and processed by PIN exclusively with the view to analyzing the candidate’s suitability for the position, and to keep such data in our files for a reasonable period of time in accordance with the PIN's Data Protection Policy. The candidate can revoke such consent anytime by sending a notice. Kindly refrain from including any special personal data, whose processing, as per applicable law, requires the express written consent of the subject of such data.