The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) is looking for Legal Researcher within European Union Border Assistance Mission to Moldova and Ukraine (EUBAM), according to the Terms of Reference below, to start on 1 December 2020.
Position Title: Legal Researcher
Duty Station: Moldova (change of location within the country might be required)
Type of Appointment: Service Contract
Organizational unit: Transnistrian Settlement Team
Expected duration of assignment: 1 December 2020 – 30 November 2021
Closing Date: 6 November 2020
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Team Leader of Transnistrian Settlement Team (TST), and overall supervision of the Chief of Administration the incumbent carries out legal research and drafts legal opinions on matters relating to Confidence Building Measures portfolio assisting in smooth operation of the European Union Border Assistance Mission (EUBAM) in the Republic of Moldova. The Legal Researcher participates in the identification of viable regulatory and legal solutions that would support the Transnistria settlement process and enhance the Confidence Building efforts. The incumbent drafts related analytical documents, legal opinions, and procedural descriptions and contributes to TST and overall EUBAM reporting system.
The Legal Researcher works in close collaboration with the Finance Specialist, Human Resources Specialist, and Procurement and Logistics Specialist of the EUBAM Administration for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with IOM programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
- Research and compile legal materials for use in the preparation of legal opinions, for inclusion in studies and reports; ensure provision of high quality, accurate and timely legal analysis and advice;
- Draft independently or contribute to analysis and research of the border related issues faced in the Transnistria settlement process, and prepare substantive input to EUBAM documents (including Monthly Report, Progress Report, Narrative Report, etc.), ensuring that the progress reporting is done in timely and quality manner based on the requirements of the IOM, project donors and Mission management.
- Draft and interpret policies and procedures governing the Transnistria settlement process, with a particular emphasis on customs and border matters;
- Meet representatives of EUBAM partner services to obtain information necessary for accomplishing tasks. Participate in high-level meetings and draft summaries or minutes of the meetings;
- Identify sources of information related to policy-driven issues; identify and apply local and EU best practice and lessons learned directly linked to EUBAM policy goals. Identify and analyse the systemic or policy changes that may influence the climate of the Transnistria settlement process;
- Edit and conduct final check for accuracy of a variety of specialized legal documentation, instruments, publications and related correspondence;
- Provide oral and written translations from English into Romanian or Russian and vice versa as required by the project, prepare Mission and project related correspondence; participate in data collection, analysis and maintenance of projects related files;
- Participate in project activities preparation, implementation and follow up; maintain effective and efficient coordination with internal and external stakeholders;
- Facilitate project audit, monitoring, evaluation, field visits, missions of the experts; provide general office support services; draft, edit, proofread, and finalize for signature and/or process a variety of correspondence and other communications;
- Readily accept temporary assignments involving travelling to other EUBAM Offices or Units within the country of deployment on demand;
- Ensure due care of premises, equipment, vehicles (including their spare parts, consumables, keys etc.), supplies and other property that is entrusted to him/her;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Advanced university degree in law;
- At least 6 years of progressive experience in legal research, analysis, international technical assistance or other related area is required, preferably in international environment;
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company or NGO is an advantage, as well as any international experience;
- Practical knowledge and understanding of the Transnistria settlement process and relevant regulations, procedures, and processes; experience in the area of frozen conflict settlement is desirable;
- Ability to conduct research from standard research sources, analyse information and compile relevant legal materials/information;
- Strong skills in drafting a broad range of documents of legal and analytical nature, including briefing notes, legal opinions, analytical reports, etc.;
- Strong verbal communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to provide oral briefings on complex legal issues;
- Excellent command of oral and written English, fluency in Romanian and Russian;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems;
- Ability to multi-task, handling a complex workload involving concurrent deadlines.
Email your IOM Personal History form (http://eubam.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Personal-History-Form.xls) and cover letter in English to the following email address email@example.com.
IMPORTANT: Please note that for technical reasons EUBAM mailing server cannot accept applications submitted from email accounts hosted at mail.ru and yandex.ru.
Please, indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications is 6 November 2020; however, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for the interview.
Appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Alte anunturi de angajare
- Dreamups angajează: Videograf/Companie de producție video
- The U.S.A. Embassy is hiring a Temporary Financial Management Assistant
- Financial Analyst Position - CILC Haga Sucursala din Republica Moldova
- UPDATE - termen limită - 29 ianuarie - Dreamups anunță tender pentru elaborarea și dezvoltarea funcționalităților platformei UpFactory
- Data Collector - World Vision Moldova
- Project Manager (NPSA-10) - UNDP Moldova/Flood Management - 16019
- RoI Consultant for Developing technical requirements for upgrading e-Permits platform at the national-level and rolling out at local level, under the World Bank Micro, Small and Medium-Sized Enterprise Competitiveness Project
- Project Associate (NPSA-6) - UNDP Moldova/Enhancing human security in Moldova through agri-food resilience to intensifying external and climate shocks - 16127
- Swedish Prison and Probation Service - Project Coordinator (consulting services)
- Chief of Party, USAID/Moldova, Safeguarding Moldova's Digital Transformation - Palladium